Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
  • Homepage
  • Plan Your Trip
  • Travel Forum
  • News & Events
  • Maps
  • Transportation
  • Tours
  • Hotels
  • Travel Tips
  • Reader's Reviews
  • News Archives
  • Need help? Call us! - 1-305-754-2206

Florida Immigration Policy

September 27, 2005 By Gus in Miami: Local NewsMiscellaneous  | 4 Comments


CriticalMiami is critical about the Florida immigration policy, and the United States handling of Cuban and Haitian refugees:

“She pasted her photo into a passport she bought on the black market and escaped to the US, where she’s lived (and raised two sons) for the past 13 years. Now, becasuse of some mistake in a law designed to allow people to stay, she’s being deported.”

Alesh also points out the contradictions with the “wet foot, dry foot” policy, whereby Cubans who make it to shore can stay – becoming eligible for permanent residence under the Cuban Adjustment Act. However, those who do not make it to dry land are sent back repatriated unless they can show a well-founded fear of persecution if returned to Cuba.

It seems schizophrenic that we encourage Cubans to flee their country, but then try to stop them from getting here.

And refugees from Haiti, whose lives may be in real danger, are not allowed to come according to US Immigration Policy on Hatian Migrants.

Above: Cubans sail toward Florida on a modified 1959 Buick boatcar.

Related stories: Passports & Working in the US

Related Categories: Miami: Local News, Miscellaneous,

Gus Moore heads up Miami Beach 411 as site administrator. You can reach him at 1-305-754-2206.

See more articles by Gus.

See more articles by Gus

Was This Post Helpful? Please Share It With Others!

You Deserve More Than an Ordinary Vacation.
Travel with Miami Beach 411 Today!
  • Over 10 years of excellent service guiding tours. Awarded a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence.
  • Large fleet of new motor coaches, tour buses, and luxury vans. Technology you won't find anywhere.
  • Highly skilled, professional drivers and guides. From people who love what they do.
The Miami Beach 411 Travel Store is Open 24/7.
Search for Tours & Transportation

4 Comments on

"Florida Immigration Policy"

Nancy says:

My name is Nancy, I came from Cuba on June 27, 1979 married, and received my resident card on July 12, 1979 under the name of Nancy Lucila Cordova Gomez which is my maiden name. When I went to get my drivers license, I showed my resident card and the attendant told me that I needed a marital certificate so I could get my drivers license under my husband’s last name. So, I received my driver’s license after I showed the certificate under the name of Nancy Lucila Muniz. I have had this drivers license since January 1980, but in October 31 2005, my drivers license expired and when I went to renew it I gave the attendant my old drivers license and I was asked by the attendant for my resident card. The attendant informed me since my resident card had my maiden name and I couldn’t renew my license under my marital name. Then, the attendant gave me a new license under my maiden name, which was a problem. All of my bills, mail, Bank account, medical papers, car insurance and car title are under Nancy Lucila Muniz. I want to know how I can resolve this problem and have my license the way it was.


Nancy L. Muniz

Posted on 11/04/2005 at 7:55 PM

yvette jaja says:

I married a non-u.s. citizen and petitioned for him to get his permanent residency. I later became aware of some serious problems with my spouse and began to question the actual reason for the marriage. I decided not to sign the second set of papers that would remove the conditional status on the the petition but I left the open for him to prove to me that what we had was in fact a real and legitimate marriage. I have recently learned that he has somehow obtained his permanent residency status and surprise surprise he is seeking a divorce. This man I thought was a very moral and upright person. He is a college professor and has all the trappings of a morally circumspect person. My question to you is do I have any recourse or action that can be taken against this man. At the very least I would like to make sure that the disturbing issuses that brought about my concerns are heard because it involves impropriaties with students and a few other things which can’t go into here.


name withheld

Posted on 02/01/2006 at 9:14 PM

Mirna says:

Hi yvette jaja, my name is Mirna and work for, I am shocked by what happend to you.

I have been working with immigration laws for quite a while and strongly recommend you talk to an attorney. As I understand it, you are saying that this man (for lack of a better word) falsified your signature to get his green card. What a jerk!

This is illegal and a good reason to have green card revoked. If I were in your shoes, I would do three things:

1) Contact police.
2) Contact an attorney.
3) Embarrass him. Tell his friends. Tell his co-workers what a jerk he is being.

Hope this helps.

Posted on 02/02/2006 at 12:23 PM

Bernardo Valdes says:

My brother in law came in the mariel boatlift. He has not become a resident. His license expired and he went to renew. He gave the examiner his I94 it was mutilated and unreadable so he was not able to get his license. He was told to get a replacement. He got his replacement I94 but now it says that it was valid only from 1980 to 1981. He was granted asyslum under the cuban hatian act. Please let me know what he can do to get his license. He has driven for 25 some years without a problem.

Any help would be apreciated.

Bernardo Valdes

Posted on 10/11/2006 at 9:22 PM

Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.
Discuss the surrounding area in our hugely popular Miami forum.
Today's Miami Specials
Like what you see? Let's talk about
how we can help your vacation
--> Contact Us